Measure Information Form
Measure Information Form
Measure Set: Advanced Certification Heart Failure Outpatient(ACHFOP)
Set Measure ID: ACHFOP-05
Performance Measure Name: Hospital Outpatient Activity Recommendations
Description: Outpatients who have received a document describing individualized activity recommendations including type of activity, duration and intensity, tailored to their needs. This document must be present in the outpatient record.
Rationale: Heart failure is a progressive clinical syndrome in which damage to the myocardium impairs the ability of the ventricle to effectively pump blood throughout the body. It manifests by fluid congestion or inadequate blood flow to tissues. Dyspnea and fatigue are cardinal signs of the disease, which may limit exercise tolerance, and negatively impact the quality of life.
The Committee on Exercise, Rehabilitation, and Prevention of the American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology has concluded that exercise training in patients with heart failure seems to be safe and beneficial overall in improving exercise capacity, as measured by peak VO2, peak workload, exercise duration, and parameters of submaximal exercise performance. Although studies addressing quality of life for heart failure patients participating in an exercise program are limited, findings suggest that quality of life improves proportionately with increased exercise capacity. Since there is currently a lack of consensus as to a universal exercise protocol for all heart failure patients, exercise programs should be tailored to the needs of the individual. Recommendations for exercise should include the setting, type of activity, duration, and intensity (Piña et al., 2003).
Type of Measure: Process
Improvement Noted As: Increase in the rate
Risk Adjustment: No.
Data Collection Approach: Retrospective data sources for required data elements include administrative data and medical records.
Data Accuracy: Variation may exist in the assignment of ICD-10 codes; therefore, coding practices may require evaluation to ensure consistency.
Measure Analysis Suggestions: None.
Sampling: Yes. Please refer to the measure set specific sampling requirements and for additional information see the Population and Sampling Specifications section.
Data Reported As: Aggregate rate generated from count data reported as a proportion.
Outpatients who have received a document describing individualized activity recommendations including ALL of the following:
- Type of activity
- Duration of activity
- Intensity of activity
This document must be present in the outpatient record.
Included Populations: Not applicable
Excluded Populations: None
All heart failure patients
- E/M Code for hospital outpatient encounter as defined in OP Appendix A, OP Table 1.0, and
- An ICD-10-CM Principal Diagnosis Code for HF as defined in Appendix A, Table 2.1
- Patients who had a left ventricular assistive device (LVAD) or heart transplant procedure during hospital stay (ICD-10-PCS procedure code for LVAD and heart transplant as defined in Appendix A, Table 2.2)
- Patients less than 18 years of age
- Patients enrolled in clinical trials
- Patients with a documented Reason for No Activity Recommendations in the Outpatient Setting
- Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH, Felman AM, Francis GS, Ganiats TG, Jessup M, Konstan MA, Mancini DM, Michl K, Oates JA, Rahko PS, Silver MA, Stevenson LW, Yancy CW. 2009 Focused update incorporated Into the ACC/AHA 2005 guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heart failure in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines Developed in Collaboration With the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. Circulation. 2009;119(14):e391-e479.
- Lindenfeld J, Albert NM, Boehmer JP, Collins SP, Ezekowitz JA, Givertz MM, Klapholz M, MoserDK, Rogers JG, Starling RC, Stevenson WG, Tang WHW, Teerlink JR, Walsh MN. Executive Summary: HFSA 2010 Comprehensive Heart Failure Practice Guideline. J Card Fail 2010;16(6):475-539.