Measure Information Form
Measure Information Form
Measure Set: Advanced Certification Heart Failure(ACHF)
Set Measure ID: ACHF-04
Performance Measure Name: Discussion of Advance Directives/Advance Care Planning
Description: Patients who have documentation in the medical record of a one-time discussion of advance directives/advance care planning with a healthcare provider.
Rationale: Heart failure is a progressive, debilitating disease which carries with it a poor prognosis over time and high mortality rate. Physicians should acknowledge the life-threatening nature of the disease and discuss with patients and/or their caregivers prognosis, quality of life, pharmacologic and device therapies, self-management, and supportive care options (HFSA, 2010).
According to Heffner and Barbieri, most patients at fourteen cardiac rehabilitation programs across the United States, presumed the need for life-support at some point in the future and wanted to make their own decisions about end-of-life care. Most of the patients were aware of advance directives, desired more information, and preferred to get more information from their lawyers, families, physicians, or cardiac rehabilitation programs (Perkins, 2000). Despite this receptiveness, only 15% of patients had discussed advance directives with their physicians, and 10% had confidence that their physicians understood their wishes (Heffner and Barbieri, 2000).
Type of Measure: Process
Improvement Noted As: Increase in the rate
Risk Adjustment: No.
Data Collection Approach: Retrospective data sources for required data elements include administrative data and medical records.
Data Accuracy: Variation may exist in the assignment of ICD-10 codes; therefore, coding practices may require evaluation to ensure consistency.
Measure Analysis Suggestions: None
Sampling: Yes. please refer to the measure set specific sampling requirements and for additional information see the Population and Sampling Specifications section.
Data Reported As: Aggregate rate generated from count data reported as a proportion. Aggregate rate generated from count data reported as a proportion
Patients who have documentation in the medical record of a one-time discussion of advance directives/advance care planning with a healthcare provider
Included Populations: Not applicable
Excluded Populations: None
All heart failure patients
- Discharges with ICD-10-CM Principal Diagnosis Code for HF as defined in Appendix A, Table 2.1
- Patients who left against medical advice (AMA)
- Patients enrolled in a Clinical Trial
- Patients who had a left ventricular assistive device (LVAD) or heart transplant procedure during hospital stay (ICD-10-PCS procedure code for LVAD and heart transplant as defined in Appendix A, Table 2.2)
- Patients less than 18 years of age
- Patient who have a Length of Stay greater than 120 days
- Patients with Comfort Measures Only documented
- Patients discharged to another hospital
- Patients discharged to home for hospice care
- Patients discharged to a health care facility for hospice care
- Patients who expire
- Anderson R, Joy S, Carkido A, Anthony S, Smyntek D, Perrine S, Puet TA, Butler ET. Development of a Congestive Heart Failure Protocol in a Rehabilitation Setting. Rehab Nursing 2010;35(1);3-7;30.
- Hefner JE, Barberi C. End-of-life care preferences of patients enrolled in cardiovascular rehabilitation programs. Chest. 2000;117(5);1474-1481.
- Kass-Bartelmes BL, Hughes R. Advance Care Planning Preferences for care at the end of life. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2004;18(1):87-109.
- Perkins HS. Time to move advance care planning beyond advance directives. Chest. 2000;117(5);128-1231.
- Wilkinson A. Living with Advanced Congestive Heart Failure: A Guide for Family Caregivers. The Washington Home Center for Palliative Care Studies (A Division of the RAND Corporation). Nov 2002.